Monday, July 25, 2011

Just let It Be

Why Evangelicals Should Stop Evangelizing



The author makes some interesting points here and I'm all for the end of evangelizing and proselytizing completely. The world would be such a happier place if people weren't trying to constantly convert each other through missionaries and wars. I'm all for education so people can realize they are nothing but myths and legends, but I would settle for people just letting others believe what they will and leave it at that. But they just can't, can they? They have to win the hearts and the minds and have them believe their version of the fable. They have to impress their beliefs on everyone else and this is what causes conflict. I do have one major issue though with the author's solution- we need to leave Jesus out of the conversation also. I realize this is near impossible, but it is such a lightning rod for controversy. How can you not evangelize by telling people to follow jesus?


"Instead of trying to figure out who’s “in” and who’s “out,” why don’t we simply invite people to follow Jesus — and let Jesus run his kingdom?"


How is this not proselytizing??? Come on. We need to drop the "follow jesus" routine and just say, hey why don't I treat you the way I want to be treated, and you treat me they way you would like to be treated and we will all get along? 'I see you follow muhammad, that's cool, I follow jesus.' (and vice versa). Now let's enjoy the day. Jesus has his drawbacks, he never once mentions that slavery is wrong. You would think for someone supposedly divine, this would be an issue he would have had a clear stance against, and yet it took man a few thousand years to sort it out on his own (with no help from the scriptures, mind you). Let's drop the Jesus is the only way to heaven and just let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment