Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tramps Like Us

Born, and Evolved, To Run



Really interesting article about studying the evolution of the human head and the human foot and how they are actually related in a way. I have heard that the cause of the human brain being so large was the reduction in the force of the jaw bite. They are apparently directly related with all primate species, force of bite vs size of brain. We are seeing newer health issues that never used to plague ancient humans due to our processed food and shoe-wearing. I am also noticing more and more of these low-profile shoes and webbed shoes for running. People are trying to get back to their "roots" as far as running is concerned, that padding isn't necessarily a good thing. The human foot was designed for endurance running without shoes.

When I am on my runs, I sometimes let my mind wander to think about what it might have been like to be an ancient human on a run to wear down a beast for dinner. I usually run without music as well, it helps me feel a little more "one with nature". I pick up the sounds of the birds and the insects, I see the cloud formations up above and feel the breeze and see it in the motions of the leaves on the trees. I sense the rhythm of my breathing and my feet pounding the earth, I feel gravity and the strength of my muscles fighting each other. I feel the warmth of the sun's rays on my skin and the cool droplets of rain that refresh and energize my body. I really almost start to feel like an animal, it feels very communal and ancient. I almost start to feel relaxed as I take in nature and become part of the ecosystem (then, I get tired). It's very liberating to unplug for a while and just be submerged in your physical surroundings, you pick up on so much beauty that normally seems faded into the background of our daily lives. I highly recommend running for that reason alone, plus you will feel better and burn off all those calories :)



No comments:

Post a Comment