Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

Terribly sad day today as we wake up to the news that the great Christopher Hitchens has passed away to complications from esophageal cancer. I don't even know where to begin to thank a man I never met but who impacted my life so profoundly that I will never be the same because of him. He was a true genius in every sense of the word whose wit and vibrance could never be equalled. He helped open our eyes to the tragedy that is organized religion and almost single-handedly knocked it on its ass with his cunning prose and his complete understanding of the literary works supposed to be divine. He perfected the "Hitch-Slap" and strategically ripped apart the futile arguments of apologists the world over. 

You belong in the pantheon of great minds and great humans. You helped pave the wave for this new secular movement and it is now our duty to pick up where you left off and carry the cause until we are free of this mental bondage. You were a beacon for me when what I was taught just didn't make sense any more, you helped to open my eyes and show me how to think on my own. You showed me that there were other people who felt the same way I did and that I didn't have to feel ashamed or embarrassed because of it, but in fact I had to start to show the rest of the world the real truth, that there is no "Truth". You will forever be my hero and an inspiration and you will be missed more than you could ever have imagined. Thank you for your life.

Saw this on twitter today and liked it (don't remember who said it, so my apologies for not giving appropriate citation):  

 In honor of Christopher Hitchens, let's all make a point of trying to disprove one of our core beliefs today. Good practice anyway.



In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011

Richard Dawkins Website Compilation of Obituaries

Richard Dawkins: Hitchens in Memoriam

Sam Harris: Hitchens in Memoriam

Dan Dennett: Hitchens in Memoriam

Stephen Fry: Hitchens in Memoriam

James Randi: Hitchens in Memoriam

Salman Rushdie: Hitchens in Memoriam

Peter Hitchens: Hitchens in Memoriam







No comments:

Post a Comment