Monday, October 15, 2012

You Don't Have to Go Down in My Basement


Great talk by Dan Barker. My favorite part comes around 20:45


"Suppose you were walking by my house one day. You've been walking by for a long time and I were to go up on the porch and say:

'Hey! Stop! I've got some good news! Good news for you people! Stop stop stop!! You don't have to go down in my basement! This is great news! You've been walking by all this time. You've been ignoring me and I deserve to be recognized and honored and you've been ignoring me and it's made me so angry and so mad that I just get so horribly mad so I built this torture chamber down in the basement. And there's some hooks down there and there's some sharp things and there's some vats of sticky stuff and there's a furnace and there's some chains and it's horrible and there's flames!

But you don't have to go down there! I sent my son down there... And it was gruesome, I tell you, it was really horrible. But that satisfied my anger and now his blood was shed and now you're free. You don't have to go down. All you have to do, come on up here, just come up and tell my son that you love him and hug him and then you can move in with us. We'll live up in the attic and you can tell me how great I am. You can just tell me how much you love me and we'll do that. Won't that be great?!'

... So, would you keep walking?"


No comments:

Post a Comment